Notes from a Remodeling & General Contractor for the Wichita, KS Area
This month we kick off a four part series about roofing and the various options you have to choose from in shingle styles, accessories, roof ventilation, and more. We will focus on options available primarily for those in the Wichita Kansas metro area but the topics should apply the same to most of the home owners in the Midwest.
At S&A Construction, keep in mind our approach is that you are purchasing a roof system and it is a valuable investment for your home. You should find a professional roofer that will spend the time help you learn and explore the differences in roof system components and the essentials of a quality roof installation. The goal is to balance your wants and needs with the appropriate application while considering your budget.
Common Types of Roofing Singles
Over the years, we have found the following single types to be the most common in our Kansas roofing area (Wichita, KS and the surrounding area including Hutchinson, Newton, McPherson, and Derby):
- 3-Tab Shingle – Fiberglass 3-tab asphalt shingles are an economical roof replacement choice. Most brands offer a 25-year limited warranty and a limited selection of colors to match most homes styles. 3-tab shingles are rated for winds up to 60 mph and have a Class A fire rating.
- Composition Shingle – Composition shingles are a combination of asphalt and fiberglass to produce a thicker, heavier shingle than a fiberglass 3-tab shingle. Most manufacturers offer a limited-lifetime warranty and boast a wind rating of 130 mph and a Class A fire rating. Combine these benefits with a variety of color options, and it is easy to understand why composition shingles are the most popular type of residential shingle.
- Class IV Shingle – These impact resistant shingles are a smart choice for Kansas weather as they meet UL 2218 Class 4 impact testing, making a roof less susceptible to damage from hail. In addition to a wind rating of 130 mph and a limited lifetime warranty, some insurance companies offer a premium discount for Class IV roofing systems.
- Designer or Specialty Shingle – If your Home Owner’s Association (HOA) requires a designer or specialty shingle S&A can help. The cut and texture of a designer shingles create a unique and individual look to your home. Designer shingles are rated durable, 130 mph wind rated with a limited lifetime warranty.
- Modified Bitumen – Modified Bitumen roofing shingles are ideal for low slope roof lines to provide a water-tight seal. Homeowners can choose between hot asphalt or self-adhesive shingle types.
Need More Information? Contact a Trusted Local Roofer in the Wichita, KS area
We hope the above helped you become more informed about the more commonly used roofing shingles for the Wichita, KS Metro area. If you are in the area and in need of a new roof or just more information, please consider S&A Construction of Wichita KS. Give us a call or e-mail any time.
Next month, we will cover open vs. closed valley flashing but in the meantime, let us know if you have any questions, other ideas, or comments about roofing!